Wednesday 16th, January, 2019
The Most Popular & Recommended Kilimanjaro Climbing Routes
Approaching from the West, the Lemosho route is one of our highly recommended routes. The first three days of the ascent are quiet and relatively untraveled. The route then joins the busier Machame trail and follows the Southern circuit to Barafu Camp. A wonderful route in terms of scenery, it offers unequalled views over the majestic Shira plateau. The high success rate for this route is comparable to the Machame route.
• Best route for variety of scenery
• Quiet trails for the first half of the climb
• Descent via the Mweka trail
Approaching from the South West, the Machame route is one of our most highly recommended routes. The route offers great acclimatization, and as a result enjoys one of the highest summit success rates of all the routes to climb Mt Kilimanjaro, although this can make it busier. A wonderfully diverse route, passing through five distinct climatic zones. The route meets the Lemosho trail and follows the Southern circuit to Barafu Camp.
• Our favourite route for a seven-day climb
• Great acclimatization as you "walk high, sleep low"
• Climbs up through all 5 climate zones
• One of the routes with the best success rate
The only northern approach route, the Rongai route offers the closest to a wilderness experience. The trek in is through a remote and barren landscape where the rainforest has sadly been lost to agriculture. For those looking to avoid the crowds, this offers a much quieter trail. Sadly, the topography does not allow the climber to "walk high, sleep low “, so the success rate is lower than on other routes
• Quiet route that approaches from the north of Kilimanjaro
• Different trails for the ascent and descent
• Stunning traverse around the Crater Rim
Northern Circuit Route
The newest of the official routes the Northern Circuit is the longest and most beautiful. The first three days of the ascent follow the Lemosho route. The route then turns north and follows the Northern Circuit proper to where it meets the Rongai route to the east. A wonderful route in terms of remoteness, its circumnavigation of the mountain offers almost 360-degree views. The longer route provides unequalled acclimatization opportunities.
• A new (and fantastic) route up Kilimanjaro
• Access to Kilimanjaro’s remote northern slope
• Views from nearly all sides of Kilimanjaro